Wednesday 2 April 2014

and then we were 4

And then there were two.  Or four.  Depends on how you want to look at it.  Regardless, there were more mouths to feed and more diapers to buy.  And change.  Oh dear.  But so he went.  He was as dreamy as dreamy coud be and he literally, quite literally, completed their family.      Life was adorable.  Totally frigging cute.  A million dollar lot, so it was said.  Thankfully, 2 healthy babes, one boy and one girl. 

When she thought about writing, so was torn.  She felt anyone could do salacious.  Seems that Chelsea Handler and EL james were already killing it in that genre.  Did she really want to start writing smut? Detailing erotica for the stay at home ladies? Probably not.  She wasn’t going to sell it to those less fortunate.  She was going to continue to write about everything else.  Leave the gory details to the pros.  

So she stuck to the story, minus the ick factor and the ideas just flowed.  She’d always been a natural storyteller.  Everyone told her so. 
In her free time, she caught herself daydreaming.  Relaxing.  Thinking.  Writing.  Why confess?  Not that anyone was listening, right?

There were two annoying parts of every day.  Seven days a week, the kids had to get ready in the morning and then they had to be convinced to sleep in the evening.  WHY they needed to be convinced to do something that I’d do in a heartbeat was beyond me.  I think that mornings were a touch worse.  I have the only kids in north America who sleep in at age of 2 and 6 respectively.  This joy means that I have to wake them at 8am and they’re as bad as teenagers.  My daughter begs for 2 more minutes.  Six times.  After the battle, she stays in bed and begs me to chose her clothes for her.  Black leggings and a pink sweater.  Declined. Pink leggings and a black tshirt.  No way.  A purple, sparkly dress.  Negative.  Okay, fine mom.  I’ll choose.  And out comes the leggings and the floral tunic.  Her outfit is complete with suede mocosins and a glittered head band.  Oh we are so screwed for high school.  My son isn’t as horrendous.  When he does wake on his own at 6am, he shouts, “mama!  I need you!”  Secretly I let him shout that at least 3 or 4 times.  Hey, you got to hold on to something.  One day he’ll be someone’s husband and he won’t be screaming for me anymore.  A mommy’s gotta do…
Choosing his clothes is equally ridiculous in the precious morning hours.   First of all, as a toilet trained two year old, he usually refuses underwear.  This I’ve decided to allow, provided he’s allowed me to peel off the hot pink robe he’s borrowed from his big sis.  In pjs, monkey costumes and nightgowns, I shove him out the door by 10am.  Only then, and after a $1.00 McDonalds ice coffee, does my day truly start.

And by start I mean that I rush home to clean the breakfast dishes.  Finish tidying from dinner last night.  Throw in a load of dirty towels (made dirty from cleaning the entire box of cereal and organic milk that the boy dropped on the kitchen floor).  Make a few beds.  Work on my music.  Get dinner going.  Usually by 3:30 I’m looking forward to the distraction of chatting with other SHMs at the playground at pickup.  As this is my main form of sociailziation, the moments on the blacktop are usually relished.


No comments:

Post a Comment