Saturday 5 April 2014

Girly girls???

I definitely don’t consider myself a “girly-girl”.  Sure, I love a good pedicure, and I adore a sexy chick flick, but I’m not really super feminine.  I like to get messy; I can go days without washing my hair (much to my family’s chagrin). I’m most at home in jeans, a t-shirt and flip-flops.  My bags don’t match my belts (I don’t even wear belts!) and my underwear never coordinates with my bras.  Admittedly, I was a bit concerned when the 13-week ultrasound revealed a baby girl was on her way.  How was I going to raise a girl? 

How would I cope with the unexpected pressures girls face.  The hair cuts, the mean girls, her first period and of course, the cat- fights? Where would I ever find her clothes that were cute enough (I had a hard enough time with my own wardrobe issues)?  What would I think of her first boyfriend? Her husband? Her mother-in-law?  How would I deal with her asking permission to shave her legs and wax her eyebrows? 

My friends suggested a few books and I quickly dove in.  I figured how else could I learn this stuff.

Without giving too much away, I learned that raising a girl is very different from raising a boy.  Obviously the differences go way beyond finding that perfect layette to come home from the hospital in. It’s not as simple as finding the perfect prom dress.  Girls and boys are treated differently and this treatment starts at birth.  One book even went so far as to say that in North America, families write they are PROUD to announce the birth of their son, while they are THRILLED to annonunce their new daughter.  Who knows, we wrote, “we’re tickled pink to announce our baby girl’s arrival.” I guess that’s as girly as it gets.  I painted her room cotton candy pink and her wardrobe sadly has more pink in it than I care to admit.  I was one of those women who SWORE she’d never put her girl in pink.  I guess I proved myself wrong


While my daughter seems to be pretty girly so far (she can flirt like the best of them), she also loves to get dirty.  She seems to have a deep voice and hopefully, like mommy, she’ll love a good pedicure!  I can’t wait to hit the spa with her!

No comments:

Post a Comment