Sunday 13 September 2015

Dear husband

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

So actually, this didn't start as love at all. In fact that would have put you in jail. If you recall, I was 12 and you had just turned 18.  I was a fresh faced (brace faced) preteen with long hair and olive oil legs. I was tall, nearly 5 foot 9, but still yet to weigh 125 pounds. Shy, awkward around boys, yet utterly infatuated with you. 

After all you were a Canadian college kid. Or, as you people say "university" kid.   Tanned, toned and totally hot. That's my memory of you circa 1987.  You rarely smiled, you never wore shorts, and in your Benetton striped blue and white rugby I was smitten.  From that first canoe ride, I knew you were the man I would marry one day. 

And much to your chagrin, I made that no secret.  I told everyone.  When you were on canoe trips, I dragged my friends and raided your cabin.  I stole a robin's egg blue Beaver Canoe sweatshirt from your cubby.  And your pillow case.  I slept with both every night. 

I still have your sweatshirt.  And your pillowcase.  And they are both 28 years old today. 

Canoeing quickly became my favourite sport.  Going on an overnight with you was pure heaven. 

Your Canadian accent made the girls swoon and I cried as you dated 1/4 of the female staff. Including my cousin. 

And then I cried again when they chose to close our summer camp.  Cried for the friends I wouldn't see again. And mostly I bawled because I knew I'd miss you. 

But i was then close to 13 and an avid writer. You received nearly a letter a day. I think you wrote back twice...

So, who would have guessed that all this time later we would be married and the parents to two near perfect babes? 

Yup, I got you in the end. Persistence and mad good penpal skills made me the lucky winner. 

I even moved to Canada for 14 years. People around here say I sound Canadian. My kids were both born there...

And though there have been some tremendous ups, there have also been a few gut-wrenching downs.  Sometimes I bet you wished you never agreed to spend 8 weeks teaching Jewish kids from Nyc/nj how to canoe in the wilderness. 

I'm sure some days you dream that you just married some normal Canadian girl and not some wild and crazy American. 

And believe me, there are days I wish I never met you at all. 

But for the most part, I thank my lucky stars that I was a precocious and probably obnoxious kid with a crazy crush on the Canadian counsellor who taught canoeing. 

Here's how i count the ways I love you:

1)you are the most fantastic father. Loving yet stern.  Involved in everything.  You're the one who always takes them for Baskin Robbins. Even when it's snowing. They certainly think you're the fun one. 

2) I love that you taught both kids to ride bicycles. And they learned immediately. Before all their friends. So then you taught their friends...

3)because you love to cook.  And not just bbq.  You're a master in the kitchen.  This is where your creative side shines. Your presentation is always flawless.  I love your salmon ceviche on shrimp crackers the most. 

4) because after you cook (or while you are cooking) you clean up. You never leave the kitchen a mess. 

5) you never leave a mess anywhere. Ever.  In fact, one of your nicknames for me is pigpen, because mess follows me everywhere. You hate that about me. I'm sure. 

6) because after 14 years you moved me back to America. More specifically back into my parents' house!!! You took a huge job 6 months ago and left us to pursue this position. We joined you two weeks ago.  I'm still pinching myself. 


7)because you work tons but do it with grace. 

8) because you're my behind the scenes producer. You take care of the stuff no one sees. From dealing with the bills to checking on the electrical outlets, you take care details i would otherwise ignore. 

9) because you love to see the world with me. From Canada to India, Africa to Iceland,  travelling together is our happy place. And now our kids have the wanderlust bug too!!

10) and I'd be remiss if I didn't say you're also my guardian angel on earth. While I'm quite the catch myself, I'm not always the easiest person with whom to live. You have seen me at my worst and saved me from myself.  I know  you worry about my well-being  more than you worry about yourself.  

 
I'm forever grateful, even if i don't always show it. I cherish all our moments together and I'm excited about our new adventure.  This phase of our life is going to be the best part of the story!!

After all, we are team Mayer Sugarman and together we can take on the world. 

With love and respect,
Laurin 

No comments:

Post a Comment